Kay is the head of our Personal Injury and Accident Claims department and has three decades of experience.
Chambers & Partners 2016 Edition rates Kay for representing clients with serious head and back injuries, as well as families of fatally injured victims. Respected by market sources for her fierce litigation style, Kay has been described as: "an Amazonian litigator who fights like Boadicea for her clients."
Kay has particular expertise in product liability cases including successful claims against Dunlop, concerning their flawed SP4 tyres and Ford, concerning their Explorer. She also has unique knowledge and insights as to the effects of serious pain conditions such as Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS).
Kay has secured several millions of pounds in damages for her clients and the best treatment and support, by using funding from liable insurers to ensure injured victims are able to return to their careers, or find new avenues.
Recent awards include:
- £1.27 million awarded to a 56 year-old-man suffering brain injury when hit by a wing mirror on a motor vehicle.
- £820,000 was awarded for a car driver in a rear end collision causing jaw, shoulder and back injuries to a trainee GP, delaying her qualification. The clients’s previous solicitors had failed to recognise the huge potential for the claim. Following transfer to Kay, specialist experts addressed the various aspects of the claim and made full provision for future needs.
- £500,000 for an injured woman who developed CRPS following an injury at work caused by an injury.
- £450,000 for a mother whose husband was killed when a defective tractor rolled over him whilst he was working on it.
- £197,000 paid to a pedestrian struck by a car on a zebra crossing who suffered a severely broken leg and psychological consequences.
- £135,000 for whiplash and psychological trauma caused to a passenger in a motor vehicle that was struck in the rear by a lorry. Previous solicitors had advised acceptance of an offer amounting of £35,000 but following the transfer to Kay McCluskey, the full value of the claim was recognised.
Kay is a Trustee and sits on the fundraising committee for Headway Bristol, the charity for victims of brain injury. Kay is a past President of the Bristol Medico-Legal Society having previously held the post of legal secretary for almost 10 years. She is a member of APIL.
What Kay's clients say:
"I will not hesitate to recommend you, as you've truly been fantastic." J
"Thank you so much for your fantastic work on my case over the past three and half years - you have been amazing. It was a fantastic outcome which I never thought I would get." ST
"Thanks Kay for all your help through all of this process. You have been thoroughly supportive, helpful and wise throughout." MM
"We really can't thank you enough for all of the hard work you've put in. For me personally, your dedication and passion for your work is outstanding and this has been a major support to me through some horribly difficult times. It was so lovely to find a human being at the end of the phone on our very first phone call, and I knew then that I had made the right choice in changing solicitors." NG
"Kay is an excellent ambassador for Metcalfes and I would not consider using another legal practice if I needed to in the future." DW.
"We were very fortunate to have Kay McCluskey as our solicitor -- she was superb in every respect. She won a settlement entirely to our satisfaction". Anon.
"With thanks for your hard work over the past four years. Thanks also for your ability to be so highly professional while at the same time giving such a personal touch." K
"A very big thank you for all your time, expertise and hardwork you have done on my behalf and being there for me. I cannot thank Kay enough, I am very grateful for the settlement she achieved." JC
"Thank you for all that you did and the persistence with which you did it. I couldn't have had a better legal respresentative." KL
"HUGE thank you for all your hard work and support during the case won for my accident. I am very grateful to Kay and know that her expertise and knowledge has been so worthwhile." RU
"I cannot believe it and feel so relieved and happy with this result. You are a Wonder Woman!" RI
"Your help has been invaluable, and I would like you to know how truly I appreciate all your hard work on my behalf. Your kind, sympathetic yet professional approach has made this difficult journey tolerable, and ultimately very successful." AK
"I really can't tell you how truly grateful I am. I never imagined I would have been awarded the amount of money I have received. Many, many thanks. I will certainly be recommending Metcalfes and in particular you!" LS